Sunday, July 15, 2012

Grain-Free Blueberry Muffins


I found this recipe browsing through several different Paleo blogs and websites. This one I found on Organic & Thrifty

I have never been much of a breakfast eater. My parents were ALWAYS trying to get me to eat before school. They tried everything from cereal to french toast sticks. Nothing ever appealed to me. I just wasn't hungry in the mornings (let alone even awake!). To this day I really don't eat breakfast. We've all heard that its the "most important meal of the day", but getting up earlier just to eat something I don't even feel hungry for or even having to actually cook something before I left just doesn't work for me. 

I have to have steady hands for putting on individual lash extensions, and there are days when I will get shaky (presumably from not eating), and with as busy as I am I have absolutely NO time to eat in between clients. I would usually end up not eating my first meal until around 7 when I got home.

So in order to make it easy on myself, I decided I'd try and make some muffins to grab and take with me in the mornings. That way there is NO cooking involved before I head to work, and I can eat it in the car on the way there. 

Review
Right out of the oven these babies are delicious! They are definitely more crumbly and messy than your average muffin, but still hold up fairly well. They DO NOT rise when they are baking, so don't expect that. They ended up looking like little biscuits when I pulled them out of the tin. It also seemed like a lot of the blueberries kind of sunk down to the bottom, so when I pulled them out of the tin they were kind of juicy and didn't have much of a bottom. DEFINITELY grease your tins well! I used butter and that worked really well.  

I think I am going to play around with the ingredients and see if I can come up with something that feels a little more like a muffin and not a biscuit. Taste-wise they were pretty good- not too sweet, but  maybe could have used just a touch more honey as the blueberries gave it a a little too much tartness for me. 

One other thing is figuring out how to store them... I let them cool completely then put them in a zip lock bag. But the next morning when I went to grab one they were kind of moist like they had sweat (if that makes sense). 

Ingredients

2 1/2 C Almond Meal/Flour
3 Large Eggs 
1/4 C honey
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 T Vanilla Extract
1 C Fresh Blueberries

Preheat the oven too 300 F

Grease your tins with coconut oil or butter. 

Mix the ingredients together until smooth. Gently fold in Blueberries.


Scoop the mixture into the muffin tin. (Batter will be pretty thick)

Bake for 30-40 mins (It was closer to 30 mins for me and they were pretty browned)


No comments:

Post a Comment